Mark Musekamp is an intellectual property lawyer who advises companies of all sizes and individuals on technology transactions and intellectual property matters relating to trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. In this capacity, he regularly advises clients in the licensing, sale, and acquisition of intellectual property and technology assets. In particular, Mark frequently assists clients with all forms and structures of information technology acquisitions, outsourcing, and licensing. In addition to his work with technology transactions, Mark frequently advises clients on intellectual property and technology issues that are parts of larger transactions. Mark is also knowledgeable of the ever-changing privacy and data security laws that buttress these transactions and has frequently assisted clients in drafting and implementing security and privacy policies as well as negotiating agreements relating to laws.
Mark has significant experience in assisting clients in identifying and selecting strong trademarks and prosecuting federal trademark applications with the U. S. Patent and Trademark Office to secure clients’ rights in those marks. Further, Mark frequently aids clients in the management of international trademark portfolios by coordinating and advising clients with respect to trademark clearance, maintenance, and enforcement actions in jurisdictions around the world with the assistance of local counsel. As a result, Mark has experience in both enforcing and defending client’s trademark rights through adversarial proceedings. Mark’s clients include anyone who needs to protect intellectual property, from large multi-national corporations, mid-sized, and small business, as well as individuals.
- Drafted and negotiated sophisticated software and IT outsourcing agreements, including negotiating an agreement with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services on behalf of a patient care management software provider.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements relating to the acquisition of software and technology assets, including agreements for the purchase of software and related assets in the healthcare, military, sports and gaming, and insurance fields.
- Drafted, negotiated, and conducted due diligence on the acquisition of a military technology patent portfolio, including drafting and negotiating an amended and restated joint development and license agreement with one of the target’s key partners before closing.
- Drafted and negotiated joint development agreements and exclusive technology licenses with public universities.
- Formulated and implemented all aspects of software licensing and sales for a logistics software company, which is a portfolio company of a large, Silicon Valley based private equity firm, and a SalesForce to SAP integration software company, which is the portfolio company of a smaller, regional private equity firm.
- Conducted due diligence and negotiated intellectual property and data privacy and security portions of large transactions, including Cintas Corporation’s acquisition G&K Services and Infinity Property & Casualty Corporation’s sale to Kemper Insurance Company, and other similar transactions.
Professional and Community Involvement
Cincinnati Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
Named to Ohio Rising Stars, 2014
News & Resources
- Nasdaq.com, 07.01.2019
- KMK Law Intellectual Property Blog, 08.17.2017
- KMK Law Intellectual Property Blog, 05.12.2016
- KMK Law Cybersecurity & Privacy Blog, 03.03.2016
- KMK Law Corporate & Securities Blog, 03.03.2016
J.D., Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Northern Kentucky University, 2012, magna cum laude, Lead Articles Editor Northern Kentucky Law Review
M.B.A., University of Cincinnati, 2009
B.A., Xavier University, 2008, magna cum laude