On 31 January 2020, the United Kingdom officially left the European Union. However, the withdrawal agreement concluded between the EU and the UK provides for a transition period until 31 December 2020, during which time EU law remains in force in the UK. This transition period applies to, among other things, the EU Trademark Regulation as well as its implementing regulations.
As a result, until the end of 2020, existing EU trademark registrations will not be adversely affected. In particular, as of 1 January 2021, holders of valid EU trademark registrations will automatically acquire an equivalent right in the form of a UK trademark registration based on UK national trademark law. No official fee will be charged to the trademark holder for the automatic creation of this “mirrored” UK trademark registration.
If the holder’s EU trademark registration is set to expire prior to 31 December 2020, the corresponding UK trademark registration will not be automatically created, and as a result, if protection under such EU registration is desired in the UK, a separate application must be filed in the UK with usual registration fees being charged.
If the EU trademark is not registered but merely pending as of 31 December 2020, the applicant may request that the equivalent UK application be filed, with the deadline to make such requests being 30 September 2021.
If you own an EU trademark registration and have questions as to how these rules may affect your rights, please contact a member of KMK's Intellectual Property Group.
KMK Legal Alerts and Blog Posts are intended to bring attention to developments in the law and are not intended as legal advice for any particular client or any particular situation. Please consult with counsel of your choice regarding any specific questions you may have.
© 2020 Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL. All Rights Reserved
- Intellectual Property
- Social Media
- Craft Brewing
- Trademark Litigation
- Medical Marijuana
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Registered Trademark
- Federal Trademark
- Amazon's Brand Registry
- Medical Cannabis Dispensaries
- Drug Enforcement Agency
- Uniform Trade Secrets Act
- E-Discovery Case Law
- Regulation Fair Disclosure
- Securities Law
- Securities Regulation
- EU Trademarks Post-Brexit: Now What?
- Don’t end up on The Elf on the Shelf’s naughty list!
- Stay Out of Trouble With the Federal Trade Commission
- "Aloha Poke": Social Media and Consumer Perception are Part of the Trademark Enforcement Equation
- Could Any Old Yahoo Nab Chief Wahoo?
- Trademark Registration Practice is Officially…umm…Well, You’ll See
- Booze is Booze, Right? Not so fast...
- Did A Neural Network Just Solve Craft Brewing's Trademark Problems?
- Enroll in Amazon’s Brand Registry 2.0… But Only if You Own a Registered Trademark
- Fiona Versus the Counterfeiters: What About Her Rights?