We recently presented “Can’t We All Get Along in the Sandbox?” at the 12th Annual NKU Cybersecurity Symposium, one of the largest cybersecurity symposiums in the Tristate region. Our presentation focused on a number of topics including:
- The current cybersecurity landscape.
- The patchwork framework of state data privacy statutes - including the California Consumer Privacy Act, the Ohio Data Protection Act, and other recently enacted and updated state statutes - and the competing goals and objectives of the respective state frameworks.
- Proposed national legislation and the tension between State AGs and the federal government regarding potential national standards.
- The respective roles of federal agencies in cybersecurity.
- The growing interest and strength of State AGs in cybersecurity and data protection and the potential for uniformity and guidance through State AG enforcement actions and settlements.
- The tension between international, national, and state rules and statutes which creates some confusion and a “race to the top” mentality in the cybersecurity sandbox.
At the end of the day, as companies work through conflicting regulations and guidance, we reminded everyone that there are some basic “cyber sandbox rules” that companies of all sizes should be following:
- Put policies in writing
- Train/talk with employees
- Encrypt data and change passwords
- Evaluate BYOD policies
- Limit access to certain data
- Install software updates/patches
- Find business partners/vendors with $$$ to invest
- Talk to your Board, C-Suite about investing in stages
- Listen, learn, read – stay informed!
Please feel free to contact any of the authors if you want a copy of the presentation. For more information on KMK Law's Cybersecurity & Privacy Team, please click here.
KMK Law articles and blog posts are intended to bring attention to developments in the law and are not intended as legal advice for any particular client or any particular situation. The laws/regulations and interpretations thereof are evolving and subject to change. Although we will attempt to update articles/blog posts for material changes, the article/post may not reflect changes in laws/regulations or guidance issued after the date the article/post was published. Please consult with counsel of your choice regarding any specific questions you may have.
© 2021 Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL. All Rights Reserved
Joe Callow helps clients manage and reduce litigation risk and litigation costs. When litigation arises, he handles and coordinates cases on a national, regional, and local basis.
Joe primarily works on class action and complex ...
Drew Hicks assists clients in litigation and dispute resolution by, among other things, advising clients on litigation risk management and cost issues. Drew focuses his practice on representing public and private companies in a ...
Jacob Rhode assists clients with litigation and dispute resolution, helping develop and implement strategies to successfully resolve corporate disputes.
Jacob primarily works on complex commercial and financial services ...
Stephanie Scott practices in the firm's Litigation Group, focusing primarily on general corporate litigation, intellectual property, creditors’ rights and bankruptcy litigation, qui tam litigation, and cybersecurity and ...
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Law
- Cybersecurity Regulation
- Cyber Insurance
- Data Breach
- Privacy Laws
- California Consumer Privacy Act
- General Data Protection Regulation
- Class Action Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Incident Response Plan
- Information Governance
- Corporate Law
- Federal Trade Commission
- Seventh Circuit
- Department of Justice
- 2023: The Year of the CPRA and CDPA - Virginia Joins California in Passing Comprehensive Privacy Legislation
- Cybersecurity Remains a Top Concern
- Data Security in the Remote-Work Environment – 10 Reminders Regarding Data Security and Cyber Attacks
- Stay Safe While “Zooming”
- Revisions to Proposed CCPA Regulations Released
- Happy New Year from the CCPA
- Can’t We All Get Along in the Cyber Sandbox?
- California's New Privacy Law is Coming - Are You Ready?
- Gearing up for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month: KMK Hosts Third Annual Cybersecurity & Privacy Seminar
- Ohio Data Protection Act - Safe Harbor for Businesses in Ohio