Nicholas Simon helps companies, financial institutions, and investors negotiate and execute corporate, finance and commercial transactions. Nick provides prompt and practical advice that is focused on helping his clients achieve their business objectives while minimizing legal risk and expense.
Nick has extensive experience advising clients on complex finance and mergers and acquisitions transactions across a range of industries, including sports, insurance, financial services, manufacturing, life sciences and business services. He has advised borrowers and lenders in a variety of financing transactions, including acquisition financings, syndicated and bilateral facilities, stadium financings, secured and unsecured credit facilities, and securitized, factoring and supply chain financing facilities. Nick also has advised companies, investors, and private equity funds in a variety of mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, and equity financing, from large public and private company acquisitions to smaller non-controlling investments and asset divestitures. Nick has represented numerous clients in the sports industry, including leagues, teams, owners, and college conferences in a range of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, stadium and team debt financings, equity financings, media, apparel, naming rights, sponsorship and other commercial matters.
Prior to joining KMK Law, Nick was an associate at Covington & Burling LLP in Washington, D.C. where he advised clients on a range of corporate and finance transactions. Following law school, Nick served as a law clerk to the Hon. Karen K. Caldwell of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.
- Represented Fussball Club Cincinnati LLC ("FC Cincinnati") in connection with stadium financing matters
- Represented Multi-Color Corporation in its acquisition financing consisting of a $650 million senior secured term loan facility, a $400 million senior secured multi-currency revolving loan facility, and a $600 million offering of senior debt securities under Rule 144A and Regulation S to finance the acquisition of the Labels Division of Constantia Flexibles
- Represented mid-sized private companies and regional banks in a variety of middle market term and revolving loan transactions
- Represented a publicly traded specialty pharmaceutical company in its acquisition financing of a $1.2 billion senior secured term loan facility and a $150 million senior secured revolving credit facility*
- Represented a large publicly traded company in its $1.25 billion senior unsecured revolving credit facility and $900 million accounts receivable securitization facility*
- Represented professional sports leagues, teams, and lenders in connection with multiple league, team and stadium financings*
- Represented a mid-sized publicly traded company in its $35 million senior secured revolving credit facility*
- Represented a mid-sized private pharmaceutical company in a $20 million senior secured term loan facility used to finance the upfront purchase price of product license*
- Represented a regional bank holding company in its public offering of $100 million aggregate principal amount of Fixed-to-Floating Rate Senior Notes*
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented FC Cincinnati in matters relating to its acquisition, ownership, and operation of a Major League Soccer (MLS) team
- Represented Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation (NASDAQ: IPCC) in its $1.6 billion merger with Kemper Corporation (NYSE: KMPR)
- Represented Cintas Corporation in the sale of its Managed Solutions business
- Represented the Reigning Champs investment platform in a series of roll-up stock and asset acquisitions in the youth athletics market
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition, divesture, and management of multiple portfolio companies
- Represented professional sports leagues, teams and investors in multiple mergers and acquisitions, equity financings, and commercial matters*
- Represented a large multinational biopharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a majority stake in a privately held health care services company*
- Represented regional and community banks in multiple community bank acquisitions and divestitures*
- Represented a publicly traded asset manager in its minority equity investment with an option to acquire a majority equity interest in an investment product company*
* Indicates experience prior to joining KMK Law.
Professional and Community Involvement
Cincinnati Bar Association
American Bar Association
FC Cincinnati Foundation, Board of Directors
Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber C-Change 2019 Class 14
News & Resources
- Nasdaq.com, 07.01.2019
- Forbes.com, 05.30.2018
- soccerstadiumdigest.com, 05.17.2018
- nbcsports.com, 04.16.2018
- Multi-Color Corporation Announces Agreement to Acquire Constantia Labels Division to Create a Global Leader in the Labels SpaceNasdaq.com, 07.17.2017
- Published 06.04.2020. Updated 06.17.2020.
- Published 04.23.2020. Updated 05.14.2020.
- The Price of “Free Money”: Potential Enforcement and Compliance Pitfalls for Recipients of CARES Act Funding04.15.2020
- Published 04.03.2020. Updated 04.21.2020.
- Senate Passes CARES Act, Which Includes $349 Billion for SBA Guarantees of Forgivable Loans for Small and Medium Sized BusinessesPublished 03.26.2020. Updated 04.21.2020.
- Impact of COVID-19 and Ohio’s Order Prohibiting Mass Gatherings on Force Majeure Provisions and Insurance Coverage03.12.2020
- KMK Law Management Rights Blog, 05.05.2020
- KMK Law Corporate & Securities Blog, 04.30.2020
- KMK Law Corporate & Securities Blog, 03.20.2020
- KMK Law Corporate & Securities Blog, 03.18.2020
- KMK Law Corporate & Securities Blog, 03.16.2020
- New York
- District of Columbia
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2011, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Duke Law Journal
B.A., Wake Forest University, 2007, magna cum laude
- Hon. Karen K. Caldwell, Eastern District of Kentucky, 2011-2012