The State of Ohio Board of Pharmacy just released its draft dispensary districts. As you’ve probably heard, medical cannabis is roughly a year away from becoming reality in Ohio, and this step provides some initial insight into where a patient might be able to obtain medical cannabis with a physician’s prescription. Of note, it has been proposed that Hamilton County receive 3 dispensaries; Butler County 2; with Warren and Clermont counties receiving one each. A map showing the proposed dispensary breakdown of the entire Southwest District is pasted below.
Of course, this doesn’t mean we know where dispensaries will be located; rather, only where they could be located. For example, you may recall the City of Blue Ash passed an ordinance in May to prohibit the cultivation, processing, or retail dispensing of medical cannabis. So, even though Blue Ash is located in Hamilton County, local residents will have to look elsewhere to fill a medical cannabis prescription. Conversely, the City of Cincinnati late last month unanimously approved the cultivation of medical cannabis in existing manufacturing districts, a decision which clears the way for cannabis to be grown, though not necessarily sold, within the city limits. A decision whether dispensaries can be located within the city is yet to come.
What does all this have to do with “intellectual property” and this blog? Glad you asked. More on that a bit later…
Possession and distribution of marijuana for any purpose is illegal under federal law. KMK can only advise clients regarding compliance with Ohio state law on medical cannabis, specifically, Sub H.B. 523 of the 131st General Assembly.
KMK Legal Alerts and Blog Posts are intended to bring attention to developments in the law and are not intended as legal advice for any particular client or any particular situation. Please consult with counsel of your choice regarding any specific questions you may have.
© 2020 Keating Muething & Klekamp PLL. All Rights Reserved
- Intellectual Property
- Social Media
- Trademark Litigation
- Craft Brewing
- Medical Marijuana
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Registered Trademark
- Federal Trademark
- Amazon's Brand Registry
- Medical Cannabis Dispensaries
- Drug Enforcement Agency
- Uniform Trade Secrets Act
- E-Discovery Case Law
- Regulation Fair Disclosure
- Securities Law
- Securities Regulation
- Don’t end up on The Elf on the Shelf’s naughty list!
- Stay Out of Trouble With the Federal Trade Commission
- "Aloha Poke": Social Media and Consumer Perception are Part of the Trademark Enforcement Equation
- Could Any Old Yahoo Nab Chief Wahoo?
- Trademark Registration Practice is Officially…umm…Well, You’ll See
- Booze is Booze, Right? Not so fast...
- Did A Neural Network Just Solve Craft Brewing's Trademark Problems?
- Enroll in Amazon’s Brand Registry 2.0… But Only if You Own a Registered Trademark
- Fiona Versus the Counterfeiters: What About Her Rights?
- Choice of Law and Trademark License Agreements: Rethinking Delaware as an Appropriate Jurisdiction