- Posts by Joseph M. Callow, Jr.Partner
Joe Callow helps clients manage and reduce litigation risk and litigation costs. When litigation arises, he handles and coordinates cases on a national, regional, and local basis.
Joe primarily works on class action and complex ...
Last week, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the district court’s approval of the class action settlement in the Target data breach litigation. See In re Target Corp. Customer Data Sec. Breach Litig., 2017 U.S. App. Lexis 1767 (8th Cir. Feb. 1 2017).
Two decisions last week further widened the divide among the Courts of Appeals in applying Spokeo in cybersecurity litigation.
The U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) is implementing new reporting requirements beginning April 1, 2017, and just released new guidelines to help federal departments and agencies; state, local, tribal, and territorial government entities; information sharing and analysis organizations; and foreign, commercial and private-sector organizations submit incident notifications to the federal government.
Two Courts of Appeals have issued decisions during the past week related to cybersecurity and data retention which anyone who maintains electronic data and personal information should read.
Recently, the European Union Court of Justice invalidated a Safe Harbor Framework (established in 2000), which thousands of companies relied upon to facilitate the transfer, processing and storage of data from the EU to the U.S. Any company that processes and stores data from the EU, including customer and employee personal data, should be reviewing its contracts and procedures and monitoring these developments.
On April 29, the Department of Justice published its “Best Practices for Victim Response and Reporting of Cyber Incidents”, which is an excellent, easy to read summary of steps companies can take to protect against cybersecurity incidents
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Law
- Cybersecurity Regulation
- Cyber Insurance
- Privacy Laws
- California Consumer Privacy Act
- General Data Protection Regulation
- Data Breach
- Class Action Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Incident Response Plan
- Information Governance
- Corporate Law
- Federal Trade Commission
- Seventh Circuit
- Department of Justice
- Data Security in the Remote-Work Environment – 10 Reminders Regarding Data Security and Cyber Attacks
- Stay Safe While “Zooming”
- Revisions to Proposed CCPA Regulations Released
- Happy New Year from the CCPA
- Can’t We All Get Along in the Cyber Sandbox?
- California's New Privacy Law is Coming - Are You Ready?
- Gearing up for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month: KMK Hosts Third Annual Cybersecurity & Privacy Seminar
- Ohio Data Protection Act - Safe Harbor for Businesses in Ohio
- Ohio’s Data Protection Act: What You Need to Know
- September 2018 Was a Busy Month for Data Privacy