Thomas F. Hankinson
Tom Hankinson helps clients defend their rights and strategically resolve disputes, especially when intellectual property is at issue. Tom represents both plaintiffs and defendants in crucial cases involving:
- Trademark and patent rights;
- False advertising;
- Trade secrets;
- Conflict between former employers and departed employees, including violations of non-compete and assignment-of-invention agreements;
- Unfair competition;
- Attempted class actions, including employment disputes and nuisance claims; and
- Complex electronic discovery.
Tom’s greatest job satisfaction comes from helping good people get a fair result when they encounter issues that are legally and technically challenging.
- Lazer Kraze, Inc. v. Hughes Entertainment, Inc., No. 1:14-cv-14218 (D. Mass.) – represented Lazer Kraze, Inc. in trademark infringement action against its competitor Hughes Entertainment.
- Mohawk USA LLC v. InfoCase, Inc., No. 1:15-cv-1078 (E.D. Va.) – represented InfoCase, Inc. in a patent infringement action against its competitor Mohawk USA LLC.
- Aero Fulfillment Services Corp. v. Oracle Corp. et al., No. 1;15-cv-00287 (S.D. Ohio) – represented Aero Fulfillment Services Corporation against Oracle Corporation regarding terms of a software purchase.
- Magna-Mug LLC v. Novelty, Inc., No. 1:13-cv-00304 (S.D. Ohio) – represented Magna-Mug LLC in a patent infringement action against its competitor Novelty, Inc.
- Healthy Advice Networks, LLC v. ContextMedia, Inc., No. 1:12-cv-610 (S.D. Ohio) – represented ContextMedia, Inc. in defending against a competitor’s charges of false advertising and trade secret misappropriation.
- The Veracity Group, Inc., et al. v. Cooper-Atkins Corp., Inc., No. 1:11-cv-526 (S.D. Ohio) – represented The Veracity Group, Inc. against its competitor Cooper-Atkins Corporation, Inc. in an action involving cross-allegations of false advertising and unfair competition.
Prior to joining Keating Muething & Klekamp, Tom was an associate in the intellectual property litigation group at Sidley Austin LLP in Chicago, Illinois, and a member of the improvisational theater group Maude, performing at IO Chicago.
Awards & Recognitions
- Named to Ohio Rising Stars, 2015-2017
- Named to YP All-Stars, Cincy Magazine, 2014
- Forty-Four Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Law & Improv: Principles & Skills of Improvisational Theater Applied to Legal Practice, Cincinnati Bar Center, October 13, 2016
- Law and Improvisational Theater, The CBA Report, September 2016
- Co-author, In Facetiis Verititas: How Improvisational Comedy Can Help Trial Lawyers Get Some Chops, Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law, Volume 7 (Fall 2006).
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cincinnati Chamber Alumni Network – Recruitment Committee Chair
- Cincinnati Parks Foundation, Board Member
- Cincinnati Parks Ambassadors Foundation Emerging Leaders, Executive Committee Co-Chair
- Standards Initiative of the Licensing Executives Society, Vice Chair of Patent Licensing Subcommittee
One East Fourth Street
Cincinnati OH 45202
TEL: (513) 579-6503
FAX: (513) 579-6457
- Class Action Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Evolving Media & Technology Team
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2007, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Associate Editor Northwestern University Law Review
- B.A., Denison University, summa cum laude, 2002