Michael J. Moeddel
Michael Moeddel's practice includes representation of public and private companies in a general counsel capacity on a broad range of corporate legal matters, with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and other business transactions.
Transactions on which Mike has worked include cross-border acquisitions by publicly held companies; the sale of large family-owned enterprises to private equity firms and other sophisticated purchasers; international joint ventures; and strategic alliances. In the negotiation of acquisitions, he represents clients in all aspects of the transactions, including structuring the transactions, negotiating financing terms and documentation to transitioning the business into a company’s existing structure.
Mike also regularly represents investors in structuring and negotiating private placements of securities, including venture capital and private equity transactions. He has represented angel investors, venture capital firms, private equity investors and mezzanine lenders in structuring investments in start-up enterprises and existing businesses. Mike has also worked with investee companies and entrepreneurs in negotiating terms of investment and exit transactions, corporate governance, and operational matters.
Mike has worked with clients in public securities offerings and other complex financing transactions. His experience includes the representation of public companies regarding a wide variety of securities issues particular to public companies, including corporate governance matters and compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Represented Multi-Color Corporation in its public tender offer for 100% of a publicly traded Malaysian company.
- Represented Multi-Color Corporation in its $80 million acquisition of the decorative label business of Graphic Packaging International, Inc.
- Represented Jacobs Automation, Inc. in its various rounds of fund-raising and ultimate sale to Rockwell Automation for undisclosed consideration.
- Represented manufacturer of whole home audio systems, Nuvo Technologies, LLC, in its sale to Legrand Home Systems.
- Represented Blue Ash Therapeutics, LLC in its initial fundraising and ultimate sale to Forest Laboratories for undisclosed consideration.
- Represented Multi-Color Corporation in its $356 million acquisition of York Label.
- Represented Jewelry Television in its acquisition of the U.S. assets of Gems TV.
- Represented owners of a closely-held business in the turbine engine component repair business in a sale to a private equity purchaser owned by The Carlyle Group, for undisclosed consideration.
- Negotiated $60 million investment of cash and assets in complex cross-border industry consolidation transaction.
- Lead transaction counsel representing publicly held company in $43 million cross-border acquisition of Canadian manufacturer of LED lighting displays.
- Representation of bank in divestiture of 13 branches, including approximately $750 million in deposits and $350 million in loans.
- Negotiated licensing of technology and related intellectual property from Fortune 100 company in sophisticated outsourcing transaction.
- Represented client in $10 million investment in ethanol production facility in exchange for subordinated debt and warrants.
- Served various roles in representation of Fortune 500 client in acquisitions ranging from $100,000 to $50 million.
- Representation of borrower in negotiation of $225 million senior secured acquisition financing.
- Negotiated joint venture agreement on behalf of diversified information technology company and Fortune 100 retailer.
- Served various roles representing institutional lenders in financing of acquisitions, accounts receivable, inventory, real estate, and auto lease portfolios.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2017
- Named to Ohio Rising Stars
- Named to The M&A Advisor 40 Under 40, Legal Advisor Category, 2014
- Named to Cincy Leading Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Cincinnati Business Courier's Forty Under 40, Class of 2015
- Ten Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Named Cincy Leading Lawyers By Cincy Magazine
- Forty-Four Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Forty-Nine Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Annual Survey of Judicial Developments Pertaining to Venture Capital, American Bar Association PEVC Committee Webinar, October 23, 2015
- Annual Survey of Judicial Developments Pertaining to Venture Capital, Business Lawyer, September 2015
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cincinnati Bar Foundation, Grants Committee
- Mercy Health - West Hospital, Community Advisory Board
- Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio, Board of Directors
- Ohio State Bar Association, Corporation Law Committee
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Committee
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Greater Cincinnati Sports Corporation, Past Chairman (2010-2012), Board of Trustees (2006-2012)
- CincinnatiUSA Convention and Visitors Bureau, Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- The Southwest Ohio Council on Child Abuse, Board of Directors (2010-2015)
- Elder High School, Board of Advisors (2008-2011)
- Cincinnati Recreation Commission, Commissioner, Vice President (2006-2010)
One East Fourth Street
Cincinnati OH 45202
TEL: (513) 639-3962
FAX: (513) 579-6457
- Business Consulting Services
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Start-Ups and Growth Companies
- Private Placements
- Securities Regulation Compliance
- Private Equity / Venture Capital
- Commercial Loan Documentation
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 2002, Corporate Law Fellow, Order of the Coif
- B.A., The Ohio State University, 1999, cum laude