Joseph L. Trauth, Jr.
Joe Trauth's practice is concentrated in areas of civil litigation, zoning and planning law and real estate law. He has been extremely successful in major rezoning for local and national clients and in obtaining real estate property tax reductions for major commercial properties in this region. He has also handled major eminent domain cases and construction cases.
From 1967-1969, Joe served in the United States Peace Corps in Western Samoa as Assistant to the Director of Economic Development and from 1971-1973 served as an Assistant to United States Congressman W. J. Keating.
Joe was named by Best Lawyers in America as the "Lawyer of the Year" in Land Use & Zoning Law in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Represented Procter & Gamble with regard to the valuation of its headquarter buildings located in downtown Cincinnati, and successfully obtained a reduction in the taxable valuation.
- Represented General Electric Aircraft Engines with regard to its facility in Evendale, Ohio, constituting 415 acres and 6,000,000 square feet under roof. Mr. Trauth ultimately obtained a reduction to the County's original valuation saving the corporation thousands of dollars each year since 1992.
- Handled cases for Rumpke Landfill, Inc. involving the rezoning for a major expansion of the Colerain Township, Hamilton County, Ohio Rumpke landfill expanding their landfill area by 65 acres and creating a planned light industrial district of 73 acres.
- Obtained regulatory approval for the Star 64 1,000-foot TV/radio tower in the City of Cincinnati at the top of Winton Hill near North Bend Road.
- Prevailed in six separate court proceedings over an eight-year period representing Duke Realty and the W.O. Brisben Company rezoning the southeast quadrant of I-71 and Pfeiffer Road from single family to office zoning, allowing for a 225,000 square foot office development which is now the headquarters of Ohio National. He obtained a settlement with the City of Montgomery for its unconstitutional zoning of the property.
- Represented Costco, handling their rezoning and land use issues in Deerfield Township, Warren County, Ohio, and the City of Springdale in Hamilton County, Ohio.
- Represented Home Depot in Deerfield Township, Warren County, and in West Chester Township, Butler County, and several of their other locations.
- Represented IKEA in West Chester Township to obtain regulatory land use approvals.
- Represents a major national retailer in land-use, real estate transactions and litigation.
Awards & Recognitions
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2016
- Named by Best Lawyers in America as the 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation — Real Estate Law in Cincinnati
- Named by Best Lawyers in America as the "Lawyer of the Year" for Land Use and Zoning Law in Cincinnati, 2013-2015
- Named to Ohio Super Lawyers, 2004-2016
- Named Cincy Leading Lawyer, 2006
- Forty-Three Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Recognized in 2016 Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars
- Forty-eight Keating Muething & Klekamp Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor Foundation, Trustee; Founding Trustee and former Chairman, 1987-1989
- Citizens for Community Values, Board of Directors
- River City Correctional Center Facilities, Governing Board
- Hamilton County Republican Party and Judicial Selection Committee, Member
One East Fourth Street
Cincinnati OH 45202
TEL: (513) 579-6515
FAX: (513) 579-6457
- Healthcare Team
- Land Use, Zoning & Eminent Domain
- Economic Development
- Government Affairs
- Real Estate Taxation
- Construction & Development
- Site Selection
- Construction Litigation
- Real Estate Sales, Acquisitions & Leasing
- Title Insurance
- Appellate Law
- Arbitration & Mediation
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law, 1973
- B.S., Xavier University, 1967; cum laude